- Ships that must be subject to inspections and be issued with a certificate.
- Ships that are only to be subject to inspections.
Ships that must be issued with a certificate are to be certified before 20 August 2013:
- Cargo and passenger ships with a gross tonnage of or above 500 engaged in international trade.
Other ships that are merely to be inspected, but can be voluntarily certified. This applies to:
- Cargo and passenger ships with a gross tonnage of or above 500 exclusively engaged in domestic trade.
- Cargo and passenger ships with a gross tonnage below 500.
Ships that are not to be certified must be inspected at intervals of a maximum of three years and the first time in connection with the first existing survey.