On 16th Marh 2012 the Faroese government passed a new act on pilotage into Faroese ports. With an aim to improve safety and to prevent pollution in Faroese near coastal waters, Parliamentary Act No. 21 stipulates mandatory pilotage for ships of given types and size.
- Ships of 500 GRT and larger
- Oil, gas and chemical ships, irrespective of size
- Irrespective of size, ships carrying dangerous goods as per the IMDG Code
- Ships sailing with
- dirty tanks that have not been inerted
- more than 1000 tons of bunker oil on board
- radio active material.
- Faroese fishing vessels,
- Fishery protection vessels in service for Faroese authorities
- Military vessel
- Royal ships and transport boats
- Inter islands ferries, and
- Ships on board which the officer on duty has a valid Pilot Exemption Certificate